The Technological Singularity: a Few Links

(I wrote, and then discarded, a reply to Claire Berlinski's articles on AI; she entirely believes in the TESCREAL arguments. On the way, I gathered a few links and I figured I'd record them here.)  

AI researcher and science fiction author Vernor Vinge's 1993 essay, Technological Singularity, where the term was first used. For one of his fictional treatments of the subject, see his novel A Deepness in the Sky.

“The Singularity: a Panel with Science Fiction Writers Vernor Vinge, Charlie Stross, Alastair Reynolds, and Karl Schroeder,” 2013. Link (video.) 

“I believe that the creation of greater-than-human intelligence will occur during the next thirty years. I'll be surprised if this event occurs before 2005 or after 2030.” – Vernor Vinge 

Seven years to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The General Intelligence of Robots

A Grand Unified Theory of Bad New Economy Firms

Richard M. Stallman and the Failure of the Free Software Foundation